1) Wash ridge gourd and peel its sharp edges and hard skin. Cut into small bite size pieces.
2) Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chopped green chillies, chopped garlic and sauté them well. Add finely chopped onions, pinch of hing and sauté till it becomes translucent.
3) Add turmeric powder, red ginger chilli powder, goda masala, little garam masala, mix all spices and add the ridge gourd pieces.
4) In this add 1 cup water and salt to taste. Cover the pan with the lid and allow it to cook for few mins until the ridge gourd is soft and tender. 5) After 10 mins of slow cooking add in the boiled channa dal and mix well. Adjust the consistency. Check for seasoning and allow it to come to a boil.
6) Add 2 tsp of fresh grated coconut, mix and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Switch off the flame and the dish is ready to be served.