1. Wash and cut up the meat .
2. Wash and slice tomatoes and keep them separate .
3. Peel and slice onions finely .
4. Grind ginger and garlic and powder garam masala if used .
5. In a pan heat oil . Fry onions till light brown .
6. Add mutton ,garlic and ginger ,turmeric and garam masala if used .Stir well for a few minutes .
7. Add chopped tomatoes and very little water .
8. Cook till the water evaporates. Stir till meat browns and tomatoes and onions are wel mashed .
9. Add more water and continue to cook till meat is tender and oil comes up .
10 . Add tamarind , salt and sugar ;simmer ,let gravy thicken .Seve hot .