1) Dry roast the poppy seeds in a heavy frying pan over low heat, stirring occasionally, to prevent from burning, for approximately 5 minutes.
2) Combine the following ingredients: poppy seeds, almonds and water in a blender or food processor fitted with the metal blade. Process for about 2-3 minutes or until the nuts are reduced to a fine puree.
3) Then add 2 cups of milk and blend on low speed for about 15 seconds.
4) Now pour the mixture through a strainer over a pan. And press out as much liquid as possible, then add the remaining milk and the cardomom seeds. Stirring constantly, bring it to a boil over moderately high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 2 minutes.
5) Now add the sweetener and mix well.