Excellent Maharashtrian dish made with bittergourd cooked with cashew nuts and spices.
1. Scrape off the skin from the bitter gourd, cut length wise and clean it from inside by removing the seeds. Sprinkle some salt over the karela pieces and mix them well. Leave it aside for about 5 to 10 mins and then squeeze the bitter gourd pieces well to remove the moisture (this helps in removing the bitter taste to some extent).
2. Heat oil in a pan, and when it is enough hot, add cumin seeds. When it splutters add the karela pieces and sauté well.
3. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for about 4-5 minutes in its own juices in medium heat.
4. Add hing, turmeric and red chilli powder. Add raw cashew nuts, cover and cook for another 4-5 minutes on slow flame until the cashew nuts also gets a golden hue.
5. Add pinch of sugar, grated coconut and mix well.
6. Finish this dish off garnished with finely chopped coriander leaves.