1) Heat oil in a heavy based pot. When oil is heated add in the onions and fry until golden brown.
2) Stir in the cinnamon sticks, cloves, garlic, bay leaves, cardamoms and black cumin and fry for 2 minutes.
3) Add chicken and fry for a few minutes or until the chicken changes a little color. Stir in the ginger, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and cumin. Fry for 3 minutes. (You may add a little water to avoid burning.)
4) Add in the plain yogurt and creamed coconut; mix well. Cover and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the moisture has evaporated.
5) When the oil separates from the mixture, and rises to the surface, stir in the water for shorva. Mix and cover on low heat. Cook gently for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is well cooked.