|Published||Aug 24, 2007||Cooking Time||1 hour|
|Recipe Type||Veg-Main||Preparation Time||30 min|
|Ingredient||Dall||Standing Time||1 hour|
Recipe of Dal with eggplant
|Chopped Coriander Leaves||To Taste|
|Dry/desiccated Shredded Coconut||2||Tablespoons|
|Salt And Jaggary/sugar||To Taste|
1. Wash dal twice. Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, asafoetida, 1/2 tsp oil and water to the dal. Pressure cook it until soft and mushy.
2. Mash dal and keep aside.
3. Chop the eggplant into small cubes and rub some salt to the pieces. Soak them in water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
5. Heat a pan. Add coriander seeds, coconut and toast them over medium heat until light brown. Lastly add cumin seeds and just toss once (since cumin seeds turn brown quicker than coconut, they should be added later). Remove and grind into a fine paste.
6. Chop chilies and coriander leaves.
7. Again, heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, let the mustard seeds sizzle. Add asafoetida, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and curry leaves and chopped chilies. Add eggplant pieces and fry until half done. Add dal and water for desired thickness. Let it boil over hight heat.
8. Once bubbles float on top, turn the heat to medium. Add ground coconut masala, tamarind paste or kokum and stir well. Add salt and jaggary or sugar. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
9. Top with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or chapati.