1. Clean and steam fish. Remove bones and skin and mash.
2. Chop chilles fine. Grind half the onions with the ginger. Slice remaining onions. Grate coconut.
3. Boil and mash a third of the potatoes and dice the remaining.
4. Mix fish, coconut, choped chillies, half of the ground onions, tomatoe sauce, mashed potatoes, bread soaked in milk and salt.
5. Form into small balls. Fry till brown and keep aside. Fry potato cubes till light brown.
6. Drain and keep aside.
7. Fry curry leaves cloves, cardamon and cinnamon.
8. Add sliced onions and fry till golden brown.
9. Add remaining ground onions, ginger and the rest of the spices,
10. Add salt, sugar, fried potatoes and enough water to cover solids . Cook till potatoes are tender.
11. Put in fish balls. Bring to boil and remove.