1. wash the toor dal and add 1 1/2 cups of water to it. and keep aside.or cook along with rice as shown
2. Roast all spices, mix with coconut, turmaric powder, ginger and garlic (optional), grind it to a powder form. keep this masala aside.
3. Heat the oil in pan and add the cumin and mustard seeds and curry leaves, after spluttering add the onions and fry till soft. Add all the chopped vegetables and softly fry it.
4. Add the rice, toor dal to the fried vegetables and add the masala /tomatoes(optional)along with tamarind juice and salt, cool it till the ingredient are done.
5. Garnish the dish with coriander leaves and serve it hot.