Sabudana Khichdi is an excellent Maharashtrian breakfast dish made with sago pearls, spiced with green chillies and seasoned with roasted peanuts and fresh coconut.
1. In a bowl, soak the sabudana with just enough water to barely cover the sabudana. Soak for 4– 6 hours. Drain the water and keep aside. You can also soak it overnight.
2. Wash and cut the potato into pieces and soak them in water or else they get oxidised and decoloured. Keep this aside.
3. Add one teaspoon oil to a frying pan and roast the peanuts. Remove the skin, and grind the peanuts into a coarse powder. Set aside.
4. Add one and half tablespoon of ghee, add cumin seeds, few curry leaves, chopped green chillies and sauté.
5. Add potato pieces, salt and sugar. Mix well and half cook the potatoes. Add soaked sabudana and mix well.
6. Mix well and add crushed roasted peanuts. Cover with lid and cook for 5 mins. Mix in-between and cook until the sabudana is done and transparent.
7. Finish it off with ground coconut and this is ready to serve.