An excellent spicy and masala recipe which goes very well with roti, naan, poori. Aloo Choley Makhana is an excellent dry curry preparation that goes well with any variety of Indian flat breads. The boiled aloo (potato) and choley (kabuli chana) is cooked in spicy and tangy gravy along with roasted makhana (lotus seeds) making the dish highly flavorful and distinctive to taste. The chana masala gives an extra savor to the dish. This is a popular north Indian dish, simple to prepare and has refreshing blend of flavors. Aloo and chana complement well together with different flavors. They give a pleasant meaty and nutty taste to the dish.
This dish rejuvenates and keeps us healthy and provides us with good nutrition. Potato is the most popular vegetable worldwide and is also a very versatile ingredient used in most chaat items. Potato flavour result from the combination of taste, texture and aroma. Garbanzo beans or chickpeas are tiny marble-sized legumes that has a mildly nutty flavour and texture which can be butter or starchy. It also has a very meaty and unique taste. Garbanzo beans are an essential element in most Indian curries like chole, chana masala etc. They are nutritionally healthy specially for vegetarians providing a low calorie, fat-free and rich source of protein and iron.
Recipe of Aloo Choley Makhana:
- Makhana (lotus seeds) - 1 cup
- Potatoes, boiled - 1 cup
- Kabuli Chana, boiled - 1 cup
- Oil - 3 tsp
- Onions, finely chopped - 1 no
- Salt - to taste
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 tbsp
- Turmeric - pinch
- Red chilli pd - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes - 3 nos
- Anardana pd - ½ tsp
- Chana masala - 2 tbsp
- Green chillies - 3 nos
- Ginger juliennes - 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves - ½ bunch
- Take some oil in a pan and when it gets hot, add makhana. Roast them for few minutes.
- When they slightly get coloured, remove in a plate and keep aside.
- Add little oil in a pan and when it gets hot, add onions, salt and sauté till they become golden in colour.
- Add ginger garlic paste, turmeric pd, red chilli pd, tomatoes, anardana pd, chana masala, boiled chana and water. Mix and cook for 10 – 15 minutes adding boiled potatoes in it.
- After 10 – 15 mins, add green chillies, ginger juliennes, coriander, tomato slices, makhana and mix well.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot with hot puris and raw onions.
Fox nuts commonly known as Makhana or lotus seeds are a popular food ingredient cooked in northern states of India. They are nutritionally rich in protein and calcium; they are also low cal, rich in minerals and antioxidants. They are used in cooking a variety of dishes. They are added to koftas, made like popcorn snacks etc. They taste extremely good when cooked with potato and chana. They absorb flavours well and are delicious to eat. Ginger juliennes gives a dashing zest to this dish while anardana seeds pd and chana masala enhances the aroma and taste of the dish. Finally garnish of fresh coriander seeds have a pleasant earthy flavour to offer.
Do try this brilliant Aloo Choley Makhana and enjoy its luscious taste. So gear up, watch the video and make fresh foods daily to satisfy your craving and stay healthy too.
For more scrumptious and appetizing recipes, click on: www.vahrehvah.com
My rating: 4 stars: ★★★★☆ 1 review(s)
You could always reach me at my below links:
My Cooking Videos
Regional Indian Cuisines
VahChef Sanjay Thumma
Enjoy Cooking and always remember that: “VahrehVah is all about inspiring others to cook”!