1. Peel and wash potatoes and let them drain in a colander .
2. Put water to boil in a pan with 1/2 tsp turmeric and 1 tbsp salt.
3. When water starts boiling ,put in the potatoes (do not cover) and let the water boil up again with the potatoes in it .
4. Take off the fire immediately and drain the potatoes in a colander after this parboiling.
5. Take oil in a pan enough to cover potatoes and heat it on a brisk fire .
6. Take off fire , put in potatoes and put back on a brisk fire , cooking for a few minutes , until a slight crust forms -stirring now and again .
7. Then put on a slow fire and let them redden , gradually stirring until a crust forms . 8. When ready ,if you do not want potatoes to absorb oil , turn in to a clean dry pan with some salt in it . The oil can be used again if bottled when cool.