Banana Stalk Salad is just awesome to taste, has unique flavors and the white slices of banana stems are extremely juicy and crunchy on bite. Awesome and healthy salad made with the stem of banana. The raw banana stem slices are marinated for a little while in lemon, sugar and salt solution and seasoned with a drizzle of mustard seeds, red chillies, curry leaves, hing, turmeric powder and freshly chopped coriander leaves.
Mustard brightens the crunchy raw banana salad with a unique flavor and heady aroma. This is a very simple traditional south Indian recipe that is generally prepared in the state of Kerala and Tamil Nadu. This is rarely served in any restaurant. It has got hardly few handful of ingredients that goes into the salad and the taste depends mainly on the freshness of the ingredients. Generally this salad is served by itself for a light summer meal or served with rice, curry or any stir-fry vegetable.
Recipe: Banana Stalk Salad
- Banana stem, cut into round slices - 1 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 no
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- For Seasoning the Salad:
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Red chillies, dry - 2-3 nos
- Hing - pinch
- Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- Turmeric pd - pinch
- Coriander leaves, chopped - 1 bunch
- In a bowl, add lemon juice, sugar, salt and mix well until the sugar gets dissolved.
- Cut the outer rind of the banana steam and remove the core.
- Cut the core into thin round slices and in circular motion slowly pull out the fibrous threads. Soak the round slices in water.
- Remove the raw banana slices and mix them in the lime and sugar mixture. Coat all the pieces well and rest for a while until they get slightly soft.
- For tempering the salad, add little oil in a pan and when it gets hot, add mustard seeds, red chillies, hing, turmeric powder and curry leaves.
- Add freshly chopped coriander leaves and then pour in the tempering over the banana slices and mix well.
- Rest it for few minutes and serve fresh.
There are various ways of making this salad. Some of the common names are Vazhathandu Salad or Dandusalli. Typically the Fresh Banana Stem is mildly flavoured but yet very refreshing and soothing. Generally when a bunch of banana is harvested, the plant is cut too and the outer fiber taken away from the stem. This white tender core of the stem is used in making stir-fries also. It is said that the banana stem loses its color and flavor within days hence needs to be eaten the day it’s harvested. Banana stem is highly nutritious and has loads of goodness to offer: It helps in curing kidney stones.
Detoxifies the body and helpful in weight reduction. Banana stem is a good source of potassium and vitamin B6. Banana stem is high in fiber and acts as a laxative. Can ease constipation related problems. Banana stem is rich in potassium and if taken regularly, can cure stomach pains and kidney aliments. The stem juice is used to treat heat burns too. Do try preparing this fresh salad as it is considered one of the healthiest foods for maintaining good health. The crunchiness & juiciness in the raw banana stem will certainly make you mouth-watery.
This salad makes up for an ideal mid-morning brunch (or) mid-afternoon snack in your lunch box. I am sure you must be amazed by this delectable raw and delicious salad with unique and exotic taste. If you wish to try more appetizing and nutritious recipes, do click on at: https://www.vahrehvah.com
My rating: 4 stars: ★★★★☆ 1 review(s)
You could always reach me at my below links:
My Cooking Videos Indian Recipes Indian Food Regional Indian Cuisines VahChef Sanjay Thumma
Enjoy Cooking! Keep Smiling…