|Ingredients used in Chicken Briyani (Tamilnadu style)
|• Cloves - 4 numbers.
|• Bayleaf - 2 numbers.
|• Salt - to taste.
|• Basmati rice - 1000 grams.
|• Ginger garlic paste - 5 teaspoons.
|• Curd - 3 teaspoons.
|• Lemon - 1/2 .
|• Chicken - 1000 grams.
|• Curry leaf - 5 leaf.
|• Cilantro - 3 springs.
|• Mint leaf - 10 leaf.
|• Cashew nut - raw - 5 numbers.
|• Shredded coconut - 3 teaspoons.
|• Tomatoe ( three quarters ) - 750 grams.
|• Onion 1 kg (2.2 lbs) or - 1000 grams.
|• Fennel seed - 1/4 teaspoons.
|• Cinnamon stick - small piece.
|• Elaichi - 3 numbers.
|• Green chillie(if small sized 15 nos) moderate size - 12 numbers.
|• Red chillie powder - 3 teaspoons.
|• Red food color - 2 pinch.
Preparing Briyani Gravy :
* Select a pan such large to prepare the gravy . Heat the pan add ghee and oil .
* Add the whole garam masala items as specified in the ingredients
* Add sliced onions to it and saute . Before the onion to turn transparent add chicken to it . saute it .
* Saute until the chicken color changes to white(half boiled).
* Once the color changes add green chili,cilantro,mint,curry leaves.saute it for few min.
* Add ginger and garlic paste
*once ginger garlic smell goes add tomato
* saute the mix for few min (no need to wait for the tomato to get cooked well)
* Now add lemon juice squeezed from a half lemon
*Add Curd 3 tsp saute it
* Grind the coconut and cashew to a fine paste .add little water to make the paste. Add this paste too and saute it for a little
* Add 3 tsp of red chili powder to it and mix it well .
*Add salt to taste
* once the raw smell of chili powder goes off , at this stage the chicken will be fully cooked and will be in semi liquid consistency.
* Saute it in frequent intervals so that gravy should not stick to the bottom of the pan. Allow the mix to cook so it should be in gravy consistency also till oil comes out to the top of the gravy.
* once you see oil gravy is ready. Turn the stove off.
Preparing Half cooked rice:
Soak Basmati Rice atleast for half- a- hour. Boil the water ,once it boiled add the soaked rice and add 1 spoon of salt. Rice should be half boiled . once it done strain the rice . place this rice in an aluminium tray or any vessel with large base .
Red food color:
Take 2 pinch of red food color and mix it in a spoon of water .Take 3 tsp of half cooked rice and mix with food color water and keep it aside.
Preparing for dhum:
Take a wide base aluminium tray .
Add one layer of half cooked rice to the tray
Sprinkle a little food color rice over the ice
Add a layer of the prepared gravy to the rice
Add another layer of rice over the gravy
sprinkle food color rice
do this until gravy and rice is emptied
* final layer should be the gravy .
Cover the aluminium tray with the aluminium foil
Dhum instructions in conventional oven:
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
keep the aluminium tray for 20 min
dhum is ready.
Dhum instruction in pressure cooker.
Take a vessel which fits inside the pressure cooker . Prepare the layer as mentioned earlier as rice.. gravy ..in the vessel .
Add water to the cooker and place this vessel inside the cooker .
close the lid of the pressure cooker . include whistle.
allow for one whistle . once the pressure is gone remove the lid . dhum is ready.