1. Wash dal. Wash fenugreek leaves in salt water. Chop them finely. Mix together dal, leaves, 1 tsp oil, turmeric powder and 1 cup water. Boil them till soft.
2. Mash dal and fenugreek leaves. Keep aside.
3. Chop onion. Crush garlic cloves. Wash peanuts.
4. Heat a pan. Put 1 tbsp oil into it. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds crackle, add asafoetida, red chilies and garlic cloves. Add peanuts and fry. Add chopped onions and fry them till translucent.
5. Pour dal and fenugreek leaves mixture into the pan. Add water for desired thickness. Bring it to a boil.
6. Add salt, sugar and simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves while serving.
Serve hot with chapati or rice.