Mamidikaya (raw mango) Vermicelli Upma is quick and simple to prepare with few ingredients. Ghee Roast Mango Upma is a unique, exotic, light and extremely delicious breakfast dishes made with sooji and raw grated mango cooked together with a spicy sizzling seasoning. It has yum flavors from fresh ginger and tangy zest from the raw mango that blends well with sooji. This upma is totally refreshing with flavors, made with ghee gives an alluring aroma, appetizing and stomach filling dish.
Tastes well eaten on its own or served with coconut chutney or milagai podi! Upma is a simple, fast to cook yet delicious healthy South Indian breakfast dish which is made with Sooji, commonly known as Bombay Rava. It is one of the most popular dishes in every South Indian homes prepared in a variety of variations adding vegetables etc. Generally the vegetable Upma is cooked during weddings, rituals or big gatherings as its fast to prepare, healthy and wholesome dish.
Recipe of Ghee Roast Mango Upma:
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Red chillies - 5-6 pieces
- Peanuts - 1 tbsp
- Chana dal - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Ginger, chopped - ½ tsp
- Green chillies, chopped - 3-4 nos
- Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- Hing (optional) - pinch
- Turmeric powder - pinch
- Onion, sliced - 1 no
- Raw Mango, finely grated - ½ cup
- Sooji or Semolina - 1 cup
- Hot Water - 2-3 cups
- Greens of Spring onion - 2 tbsp
- Heat ghee in a pan and it becomes hot, add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds splutter, add red chilli pieces. Fry until the red chillies are slightly roasted.
- Add peanuts, chana dal and fry until the dal is slightly colored, then add urad dal.
- Add cumin seeds, chopped ginger, green chillies, curry leaves, hing (optional) and pinch of turmeric powder.
- Add sliced onions, finely grated raw mangoes and salt to taste. Fry until the raw mangoes are nicely cooked.
- Add sooji, mix and slow cook this.
- Add some hot water, stir continuously until the sooji gets cooked.
- Add finely chopped greens of spring onions and mix well.
- Switch off the flame, cover the pan with a lid and rest it for about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve hot with gun powder or any pickle.
There are many ways by which the Upma is prepared; indeed, every upma cooked usually will incorporate variations in flavour and ingredients added. This variation is obtained by varying or emphasizing particular on taste by adding raw grated mango which gives a unique tart and tangy taste to the dish. Upma can also be made with broken wheat known as Lapsi Upma. Other varieties of upma are Bread upma, vermicelli upma, Pearl sago upma, rice upma or poha upma etc. Generally most of the kids hate eating the basic Upma variety made with semolina (sooji or Bombay rava), hence this is a brilliant substitute that can be prepared with addition of grated raw mango to make the taste slightly unique, healthy and nutritious.
Ghee Roast Mango Upma is an excellent dish with a combination of light fragrant spices and texture; simply cooked adding chopped onions and basic spices to more healthy and more tasty version adding raw mango and nuts combined together to give a crunchy feel and a refreshing sensory pleasure in itself. You can also add cashew nuts to give that extra punch, crunchiness and flavor to the dish. It’s a no fuss dish and needs a very few ingredients and is sure a crowd pleaser. This dish indeed is a nutritious breakfast to substitute your daily toasts & cornflakes & its filling too. It tastes great with the aroma and taste of ghee and sooji roasted in ghee.
Do try and enjoy plenty of tiffin varieties with different and delicious ingredients to suit your taste and enjoy healthy and happy meal always.
To try more variety of scrumptious and delicious breakfast dishes, feel free to click on:
My rating: 4 stars: ★★★★☆ 1 review(s)
You could always reach me at my below links:
My Cooking Videos Indian Recipes Indian Food Regional Indian Cuisines VahChef Sanjay Thumma
Enjoy Cooking and always remember that: “VahrehVah is all about inspiring others to cook”!