Every thing about SPINACH | Vahrehvah :
Spinach is popularly known as palak (Hindi) in most parts of India. Spinach is available throughout the year; its season runs from March through May and from September through October when it is the freshest and has the best flavor. Spinach belongs to the same family (Amaranthaceae-Chenopodiaceae) as Swiss chard and beets and has the scientific name, Spinacia oleracea.
Spinach is one of wonderful green-leafy vegetable often recognized as one of the functional foods for its wholesome nutritional, antioxidants and anti-cancer composition. Its tender, crispy, dark-green leaves are one of the favorite ingredients of chefs all around the planet. Spinach is important for skin and hair, bone health, and provide protein, iron, vitamins and minerals. Some of the dishes made with spinach are:
- Palak Moong Dal Fry : Moong Dal with Spinach is a very nutritious and healthy recipe. It not only makes the dal interesting, but also increases it nutritional value.
- Palak Paneer : Palak Paneer is an Indian gravy based curry made of spinach and paneer (a non-melting Indian cheese) in a tomato and onion gravy with Indian spices. It’s a very popular vegetarian delicacy.
- Spinach and Corn Fritters : Spinach and corn fritters are amazing snack that taste extremely tasty. Corn and spinach mixed with some garlicky and nutmeg flavours combined together with spices and deep-fried until done.
- Corn Spinach Cheese Toast : Corn Spinach Cheese Toast, a toast using corn and spinach is an excellent snack.
- Palak Dal : Palakura pappu/Spinach dal is an Andhra based, easy and simple a single pot recipe- a well-used Andhra pappu kura. It’s packed with protein, healthy and you'll appreciate preparing it due to the fact it's very easy and fast.
- Palak Paneer Paratha : Palak paneer paratha recipe here Spinach paratha stuffed with spiced cottage cheese. This is the most beautiful looking paratha amongst all.
- Chicken in Silky Spinach Curry Murg Saagwala : Murg Saagwala is a popular north Indian dish where chicken pieces are cooked in mildly spiced spinach.
- Crispy Spinach Fry : Crispy spinach fry/ Palak Pakoda is a delicious and crispy fritters prepared with spinach leaves coated with spicy chick pea flour.
- Spinach has abilities to restore energy, increase vitality and improve the quality of the blood.
- Spinach is rich in iron. Iron plays a central role in the function of red blood cells which help in transporting oxygen around the body, in energy production and DNA synthesis.
- Spinach is also an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C and folic acid as well as being a good source of manganese, magnesium, iron and vitamin B2.
- Vitamin K is important for maintaining bone health and it is difficult to find vegetables richer in vitamin K than spinach.
- The possible health benefits of consuming spinach include improving blood glucose control in diabetics, lowering the risk of cancer, lowering blood pressure, improving bone health, lowering the risk of developing asthma and more.