1. Soak the toor dhall for about 1 hour in warm water
2. Grind ginger,garlic,fennel seeds(sombhu),green chillies, red chillies and make it into a paste.
3. The toor dhal should be added along with the above paste along with salt and made into a rough paste.
4. After grinding everything to a paste, add finely chopped onions, coriander leaves and mix together.
5. Roll the paste into small balls
6. Steam the balls, by placing it in a steamer or idli plates, apply oil to the surface so that the balls doesnt stick much to the steamer.
7. Steam for about 10 mins and remove them and keep aside.
8. Now for the gravy, add 3tbsp of refined oil, wait for the oil to heat
9. Add mustard seeds and allow it to splash and break completely
10. Then add some chopped onions and fry till golden brown
11. Soak the tamarind (or) tamarind paste in water for bout 20 mins
12. Add the tamarind water to the golden brown fried onions
13. Now add, chilli powder, tumeric powder, coriander powder amp; salt. stir the gravy well. Allow it to boil
14. When the gravy starts boiling add the balls one by one into it.
15. Add about half cup of coconut milk to the gravy.
16. Allow the entire mixture to cook in low flame, till the gravy becomes thick.
17. Now garnish with some coriander leaves.
18. Serve it with rice amp; roti.