1. Wash the eggplant. Make thin slices lenghtwise.
2. Soak the slices in salt water for 10 minutes. Drain excess water and wipe the slices with a kitchen towel.
3. Mix gram flour, rice flour, coriander and cumin powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, chili powder and salt. Do not add water.
4. Heat a griddle. Pour some oil.
5. Dip each slice of eggplant into the dry flour mixture. Make sure to coat both the sides with the mixture. Coat all the slices with the flour and arrange them on the griddle.
6. Turn heat to medium. Flip over slices once the bottom side is crisp and golden brown. Fry the other side. Check doneness by slightly inserting a spatula into the slice. Slice is done if spatula easily goes down. Remove from the heat and serve with any meal.