Wash sponge gourd and cut them across to get circular pieces. Make medium sized pieces too thin and too thick will spoil it. It is important NOT to peel the sponge gourd.
1. Add oil to a kadhai and add mustard seed and wait till they splutter.
2. Add slit chillies and peanuts and wait for about a minute.
3. Add the cut sponge guard and salt to it
4. Cover the kadhai and let it cook on medium heat for about 5-6 minutes. Give a stir in between.
5. Now add diced garlic to this and mix well.
6. Let it cook covered for another 7-8 minutes or until the part except the outer cover of sponge guard is completely cooked and start leaving it. Only rings of outer hard cover should be visible. (This is why it is important not to peel of the cover)
Thats it, it is ready to serve.
(Peanuts are nicely cooked and it appears to be as if they are boiled, it is adds taste to this bharta)