- In a pan put oil, red chilies, chana dal, mustard seeds, methi seeds.Mix well.
- Add pepper corns when chana dal gets golden, add urad dal, coriander seeds. Cook slowly well to ensure every ingredient is cooked well.
- Now, add tamarind, garlic pieces,hing powder,salt, curry leaves to the mixture. Mix well and cook it on a low flame.
- As the entire mixture becomes golden in color, switch off the flame. Keep mixing till it has cooled down.
- Blend the mixture in a blender,add salt if required.
Idli powder is ready to be smeared on idlis.