Onion samosa is one of the unique dishes prepared in Hyderabad and popularly known as the Irani samosas. People of Hyderabad love to eat onion samosa with the famous Irani Chai (Tea).
Unlike the regular samosas available in the market, onion samosa is small in size, crispy and stuffed with onion and puffed rice (poha). Normally a person can eat a minimum of 5 to 6 samosa as they are small and delicious.
A regular samosa is a popular snack in the South Asian countries for centuries now. It is said that it originated in Central Asia (known as samsa) prior to the 10th century. Abolfazl Beyhaqi (995-1077), an Iranian historian has mentioned it in his history, Tarikh-e Beyhaghi. It was introduced to the Indian subcontinent in the 13th or 14th century by traders from the region. The word samosa can be traced to the Persian “sanbosag”.
Normally samosa is a stuffed pastry and popular in South Asia, Southeast Asia, Central Asia, Arabian Peninsula, Southwest Asia, North and South Africa. It is generally fried in triangular shape with a savory filling. The stuffing includes the potatoes, onions, peas, coriander etc. The samosa often served with tamarind chutney or curd.
Irani Chai with Irani samosa are famous hyderabadi snacks. It is quite easy to prepare the Irani samosa at home. Take a bowl add maida, atta , salt and little oil and mix. Add water and knead the flours to make a soft dough. Rest the dough for about 15 mins. For the stuffing take chopped onion, poha, chilli powder, cumin powder, green chillies, chopped coriander and chaat masala in a bowl and mix well. In a small bowl add 1tsp of maida mix with some water and make a paste keep a side.
Recipe: Onion Samosa
Summary: these small samosas served in Irani Cafes in Hyderabad
- Atta (Wheat Flour) – 1 – cup
- chatmasala – 1/2 – tsp
- chilli powder – 1 – tsp
- coriander leaves – 1 – bunch
- cumin powder – 1/2 – tsp
- green chillis – 3 – number
- maida – 1 – cup
- Oil – 0 – to fry
- onions – 1 – cup
- poha – 1 – cup
- salt- 0 – as needed
- water – 0 – as needed
- Take a bowl add maida,atta,salt, 1 tsp oil mix well then add water to make a soft dough rest it for 10min.
- Now in another bowl,take onions chopped,poha,chilli powder,cumin powder,green chillis chopped,oriander ,chat masala mix well.
- In a small bowl add 1tsp of maida mix with some water and make a paste keep a side.
- Now take the dough make a thin chapaties and take a pan slightly cook the chapatis both the sides do not cook more.
- Once chapaties are ready cut the chapati sheets into long triangle shape.
- Now apply maida paste one side of the sheet make a cone shape stuff the mixture in the cone then close the edge.
- In a pan add oil to deep fry, first half fry and remove then after 5min fry again till golden colour.
Cooking time (duration): 25
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: snack
Recipe by Vahchef.
Roll the dough into into chapaties and slightly pan fry the chapattis on both sides but do not cook them more. Once chapaties are ready cut the chapati sheets into long triangle shape. Apply maida paste on one side of the sheet making a cone shape, stuff the mixture in the cone and seal the edges. In a pan add oil to deep fry, first half fry and remove then after 5min fry again till golden colour. You need to double fry the samosa to give a nice crispiness to it. Vah! The thought of onion samosa or Iranian samosa is so tempting that anybody would vouch to pounce on them. It’s an awesome delicious snack and can be eaten anytime.
Do grab this classic Onion samosa or Iranian samosa recipe and serve it hot to your family. They would really luv it. Check the video here: