Tomato Thokku Recipe 1, How To Make Tomato Thokku Recipe
This particular dish is called the tomato thokku or you call it tomato pickle..
How to make Tomato thokku1
3 reviews so far
Prep time 10 mins
Cook time 50 mins
Total time 50 mins
Author : Vahchef
Main Ingredient : Tomatoes
Servings : 0 persons
Published date : October 29, 2007
Ingredients used in Tomato thokku
• Tomato-Ripe red tomatoes 2Kg Dozens.
• Tamarind-One small lemon sized one small lime sized Piece.
• Seseme oil 100- 200 ml.
• Salt - as per your taste 2-3 Teaspoons.
• Chilli powder - one teaspoon- two teaspoons 1-2 Teaspoons.
• Fenugreek/ methi powder-roasted methi seeds ground coarsely four Pinch.
• Asafoetida/ Hing Two Pinch.
• jaggery One small peice Small.
• mustard seeds One Teaspoons.
• Curry leaves A few leaves Bunch.
• Turmeric powder 1/3 Teaspoons.
How to make the recipe:
Step 1:- Boil enough water and add tomatoes in it. Boil the whole tomatoes till the skin of the tomatoes cracks or peels off.
Step 2:- Remove from the boiling water and keep the tomatoes aside to cool for some time and then grind the tomatoes in a blender/ mixer.
Step 3:- Strain the tomato pulp in a filter to get rid of the seeds if any and keep aside.
Step 4:-Soak the tamarind in hot water in a cup to extract tamarind pulp- keep aside.
Step5:- Now heat a heavy bottomed vessel, add 1/2 the amount of seseme oil mentioned in the ingrediants and throw some mustard seeds ,curry leaves and add two pinch of asfoetida or hing.
Step 6;- Wait till the Musratd seeds finish cracking, then add the tomatoe puree.
Step 7:- keep stirring it by adding little salt and turmericpowder.
Step 8;- wait till the puree becomes little thick , then add the tamarind puree. .
Step 9:- Let this boil for some time, when the above puree starts sticking to the bottom of the vessel ., add remaining oil little by little..
Step 10:- when it becomes thick agin, add chilli powder, fenugreek powder,a small peice of jaggery, continue stirring.
Step 11; switch off the stove when the oil starts to seperate from the pickle..and allow it to cool and transfer to a dry jar along with excess oil.
1. Donot close the vessel and cook. Its ok if the place becomes little dirty the end result is worth .-slow- medium flame cooking is suggested.
2. Salt and chilli powder usage can be differed as per individuals tastes.
3. Once the above recipe cools off, transfer to a broad bottle along with the eexcess oil. It keeps the tomato thokku for a long time.Store in a cool place
4. This normally takes 30- 60 minutes to cook.
5. Can be served with idli, dosa,chappati, alu paratha, and can be mixed with hot rice with little ghee. .Rice can be served with omlette or chips / pappad.