Beans Puttu is a very simple curry preparation made with French beans, cut into pieces and cooked with few spices, added with coarsely ground chana dal and fennel seeds. This dish is sort of a poriyal type or side-dish that is often served with rice, dal, sambar or any type of Indian flat breads! The dish is subtly spiced yet very flavorful; the fragrance of fennel seeds offers a unique taste to the dish.
Beans puttu is a very comforting and refreshing side dish offering the warmth flavors from cumin seeds, earthy taste from curry leaves, nutty experience from chana dal, a pleasant freshness and sweetness from fennel seeds and other spices mixed together infusing its essence into the beans which gives a unique taste to the dish. This fantastic dry curry can be eaten with roti, phulkas, chapatti or rice.
Recipe: Beans Puttu
- Channa Dal - ¼ cup
- Fennel seeds - ¼ tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds - ¼ tsp
- Urad dal - ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- Turmeric powder - pinch
- Hing - pinch
- Onion, chopped - 1 no
- French Beans, finely chopped - 1 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Red Chilli powder - ¼ tsp
- Garam masala powder - pinch
- Soak Chana dal in water for 3 hours. Drain the water.
- Put the chana dal and few fennel seeds in a dry mixie blender and grind to coarse paste.
- Heat little oil in a kadai and add in some mustard seeds. When they splutter add few cumin seeds, urad dal wash, and curry leaves.
- Add the coarsely ground chana dal and sauté well. Add little turmeric powder, hing and sauté until the Chana dal is nicely roasted and cooked.
- Add some chopped onions, beans, salt to taste, red chilli powder and stir the ingredients well. Cook for about 3 minutes stirring continuously until the beans become transparent.
- Sprinkle very little garam masala and mix well. Cover the pan with a lid, switch off the flame and let it rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with chapatti, pulka or rice.
French beans are the most popular beans that are easily available in the market. It is soft, velvety long pods, fleshy, slender and crisp. There are used in making a variety of dishes especially stir-fries. French beans are best when they are tender, thin long pods, soft, crisp, bright and fresh. They are perfect complement to Chinese dishes especially added in making soups, noodles, fried rice etc.
Apart from its taste, the goodness of French beans lie in their nutritionally excellent benefits they offer as they contain phosphorus, vitamins A,B,D, iron, and starch. Beans are a delight to many vegetarians mainly for its richness in nutritional properties. They are a good source of dietary fiber, contain high amounts of vitamins, minerals and low in calories and contains no fat.
French beans are most preferred vegetable to be added in stir-fries, salads, soups, stews, steamed along with carrots, cauliflower, peas, potato etc. They are also added with rice for making vegetable biryani or pulaos. Do try this awesome and easy to cook Beans puttu, I guess you’ll surely love to prepare again and again. Do try this recipe and delight your palate with different variations.
To try more green beans dishes, do click on: https://www.vahrehvah.com
My rating: 4 stars: ★★★★☆ 1 review(s)
You could always reach me at my below links:
My Cooking Videos Indian Recipes Indian Food Regional Indian Cuisines VahChef Sanjay Thumma
Enjoy Cooking and always remember that: “VahrehVah is all about inspiring others to cook”!