Delicious Garbanzo bean curry cooked in hara masala. Indian Garbanzo Green Curry popularly called as Kala Channa Hara masala is an explicit side dish cooked with aromatic fresh herbs and spinach. The dish is spiced with some green chillies, garam masala and flavoured with freshly crushed fennel powder that gives an amazing zest to the dish.
Kala Channa or Desi chana is also known as Bengal gram has a very unique, nutty and distinctive flavour. It is either cooked with freshly ground masala or with fresh hara masala that enhances the taste of the black chickpeas giving the chana a wonderful taste on bite. Kala Chana is commonly known as Kadala in Southern India.
Recipe: Indian Garbanzo Curry – Kala Channa Hara Masala
- Kabul Channa or Whole Bengal gram - 100 gms
- Green chillies - 4 nos
- Coriander, chopped - 1 bunch
- Mint leaves, chopped - 1 bunch
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Spinach, chopped - 3 bunches
- Amchur powder - ½ tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Garlic - 6 – 8 nos
- Fennel powder, crushed - ½ tsp
- Coriander powder - ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder - ¼ tsp
- Soak Kabuli Channa or whole Bengal gram in enough water for 8 hours or overnight. Boil it and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add whole garlic, green chillies, chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves and spinach leaves.
- Saute well and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, salt, ginger garlic paste and mix until raw flavours are gone.
- Add coriander powder, garam masala powder, amchur powder, boiled kabuli channa along with water and cook for few minutes until required consistency. Switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with naan, chapatti, phulkas, puri or rice.
The Kala chana offers umpteen health benefits, has a very low glycemix index which makes it suitable for diabetic people. It is low in fat & cholesterol, high in dietary fiber and rich in proteins making them an excellent hearty healthy food choice. The Kala chana hara masala is a yummy side dish that usually had with any type of Indian flatbreads during breakfast, lunch or dinner. Generally it is said that the black Chana keeps you full, hence fennel is used enhancing the taste of the dish and for easy digestion.
In India, it is a very common practice where you find people chewing fennel seeds after meals. This is done mainly to facilitate digestion and eliminate bad breath. Fennel is a versatile ingredient used in mouth fresheners, desserts, oils and toothpaste etc. It is a pleasant smelling ingredient native to Mediterranean but found throughout the world. Apart from Fennel, coriander and mint leaves too gives awesome taste and flavour to the dish. It also gives a nice green color and makes the dish healthy and nutritious to eat.
Spinach is another excellent green leafy vegetables power packed with amazing nutrients and vitamins. Overall this Kala Chana Hara Masala is a fanastic, nutritious and healthy dish, full of nutrients, vitamins and minerals that is best for growing children. Do try making this dish and enjoy its exotic taste. I am sure the taste of this curry will linger your taste buds for a long time and shall intense your craving for more. Do try this recipe and enjoy the authentic flavours.
To try various appetizing and delectable recipes with whole grains, do click on:
My rating: 4 stars: ★★★★☆ 1 review(s)
You could always reach me at my below links:
My Cooking Videos Indian Recipes Indian Food Regional Indian Cuisines VahChef Sanjay Thumma
Enjoy Cooking and always remember that:
“VahrehVah is all about inspiring others to cook”!