A simple instant breakfast dish made with bread crumb, semolina suji and buttermilk. Bread Uttappam is an instant, yummy, soft and appetizing Indian savory pancake with distinctive taste on bite. This is a very simple breakfast dish made with bread added with all-purpose flour and semolina combined and ground to paste along with buttermilk topped with few spicy and flavorful seasonings.
The uttappam is topped with the sweetness of onions, spiciness of green chillies, earthy flavors from coriander leaves and ginger zest. The slight crunchy feel acquired from the bread crumbs and softness of the uttapam from the all-purpose flour and semolina is truly exceptional and extraordinaire. The outer part is crispy like the dosa while inner soft like the idlis. There are various ways and variations in making the bread uttappam, but this recipe is one of the most simple, easy to prepare and scrumptious dish to taste.
Recipe: Bread Uttappam
- Bread slices - 6 nos
- Baking pd or cooking soda - pinch
- Semolina - ½ cup
- All-purpose flour - ½ cup
- Water - ½ cup
- Buttermilk - 1 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Onions, finely chopped - 1 no
- Ginger, finely chopped - 1 piece
- Green chillies, finely chopped - 2-3 nos
- Coriander leaves, chopped - 1 bunch
- Cut the edges of the bread slices and grind in a blender to make bread crumbs. Add the white portion of the bread and blender to make powder. Add this with the bread crumb mixture and mix well.
- In the mixie blender, add semolina, all-purpose flour (maida), water, buttermilk, salt and grind to make batter.
- Add pinch of baking powder or cooking soda in the bread crumb mixture and mix well.
- Heat a hot griddle and add some batter in the bread crumb, mix and pour a ladle full of batter on the griddle or tawa.
- Spread the mixture in circular motion. Drizzle some oil on the sides and over the uttappam.
- Sprinkle some onions, ginger, green chilli and coriander mix. Cover and cook the bread uttappam on both sides until done.
- Serve hot with any chutney of your choice.
A healthy breakfast is considered to be the most important meal in our everyday life, hence most of the time we keep looking for variety of dishes that is easy to cook, fast to prepare yet should be appetizing and delectable to eat. This recipe is one of the most ideal dishes for working women, bachelors who like eating fresh home food but have less time to prepare. Kids too would love to eat this for its exotic taste.
You could also give different toppings and seasoning to suit your taste and give your kids healthy and nutribtious foods. The bread uttapam tastes absolutely good with any variety of chutney or pickle. It can also be eaten as is. Uttapam is a popular south Indian savory pancake made in the states of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh. Traditionally the Uttapam is made with a combination of rice and ural dal batter which is fermented and then used for making the pancakes.
There are various toppings that can be used such as tomatoes, chillies, onions, capsicum, grated carrots etc. It is often served with sambar and chutney on side. This makes a wholesome breakfast to actually start off the day. Generally whenever we get bread, most of us either have it with jam, butter, make a sandwich etc, but next time when you buy or have leftover bread slices, do try this fantastic recipe that will surely fill your stomach with joy for its exclusive taste and flavor.
I am sure you are tempted in preparing this dish right away, then why delay?? Go ahead and give it a try right away. If you do wish to look out for many more appetizing and exotic recipes, feel free to click at: www.vahrehvah.com
My rating: 4 stars: ★★★★☆ 1 review(s)
You could always reach me at my below links: My Cooking Videos Indian Recipes Indian Food Regional Indian Cuisines VahChef Sanjay Thumma
Enjoy Cooking and always remember that: “VahrehVah is all about inspiring others to cook”!