Every thing about Popular & Easy Bottle gourd Recipes | Vahrehvah :
Bottle gourd is commonly known as lauki, doodhi, ghiya in hindi, is a very well-known vegetable that is included in a variety of curries, gravy, cooked with lentils etc. It is a very versatile vegetable that is used in preparing savory and sweet delicacies.
Lauki (bottle gourd, dhoodhi/dudhi, ghiya) is a type of squash with light green skin and white flesh. Interestingly, as the name suggests, it is one of the first cultivated plants in the world that was grown not for food but as a container. Lauki or bottle gourd is generally considered as one of the humblest, underrated and unappreciated vegetable, but is transformed into making umpteen delicacies that one would not imagine.
Bottle gourd or Lauki is widely used in north Indian cuisine and have created recipes that are par excellence and mouth-watering. Some of the fantastic and delectable dishes made from this humble and fresh vegetable are:
- Lauki Ka Salan (Bottle gourd In Yogurt Curry): Bottle gourd or lauki cooked in mildly spiced yogurt based curry.
- Lauki ki Roti: This is an awesome Indian flat bread made with grated bottle gourd flavored with carom seeds mixed to whole wheat flour and chickpea flour combined together to form a soft dough; prepared as nice roti. Serve with Korma or Salan or pickle.
- Bottle Gourd Peppers-Lauki Simla Mirch: This simple yet delicious Gujarati side dish is commonly known as Doodi Tamatar Mirch Ka Shaak. Made with the humble bottle gourd, capsicum, onion, tomato and fresh herbs. And the heat from Indian spices gives this dish an amazing savor that can be eaten with roti, chapatti, paratha or rice.
- Lauki Ka Halwa: A lip smacking sweet dish, made with grated lauki, sweetened and cooked in milk and garnished with dry fruits. It is a very popular and traditional dessert, made all over India.
- Lauki Musallam: This recipe comes from the Royal Kitchens cooked in Mughlai style. It is an amazing, exotic, highly rich and delicious dish made with bottle gourd stuffed with a yummy filling consisting of dry fruits, coconut powder, khoya, green chilies mixture and cooked in an authentic yogurt and nuts combined mildly spiced silky and creamy gravy.
- Bottle gourd is a vegetable high on water and is a rich source of vitamin C, K and calcium.
- Bottle gourd is low in calories, that’s why is widely used for weight loss.
- Thebottle gourd is low in fat and cholesterol yet high in dietary fibre.
- Bottle gourd is excellent for light, low-cal diets, as well as for small children, people with digestive problems, diabetics and convalescents.
Do try these recipes and delight your palate with different variations of bottle gourd recipes.