Lobia Appalu is a yummy savory snack recipe, very taste to eat and brimming with nutrients and amazing health benefits. Lobia Appalu is a yummy savory snack recipe, very taste to eat and brimming with nutrients and amazing health benefits. These fried appalu are made with a mix of lobia or cowpeas bean, rice flour added with spices, curry leaves, onions, dash of butter mixed well and made into small flat pancakes and deep fried until golden and crisp. They are extremely delicious appalu and good evening snack to eat. They taste extremely yum, has the goodness of lobia, earthy flavors of cumin, coriander seeds and curry leaves. It also has mild garlicky hint on bite. Generally appalu are prepared during festivals like Diwali or Sankranti. These appalu are best time pass snack.
Recipe: Lobia Appalu
- Lobia - 1 cup
- Onion, chopped - ½ cup
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Garlic - 4 nos
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Rice flour - 1 ½ cup
- Coriander powder - ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Butter, cube - 1 no
- Water - as required
- Oil - for frying
- Soak Lobia in water for 4-5 hours and strain the water off. If you want remove skin.
- Take a mixie jar, add onion, cumin seeds, garlic, curry leaves and blend slightly to coarse paste.
- Take a bowl, add lobia and slightly give a crush with pestle.
- Add rice flour, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, salt, onion mixture paste, butter and mix nicely using little water to make a dough.
- Divide the dough into portions and press it with hands on oil applied polythene sheet into small appalu.
- Heat oil in pan and deep fry the appalu. Later transfer into paper towel.
- The crispy appalu are ready to be served.
Lobia is popular known as cow pea or black eyed pea. It is a small sized oval shaped bean with a black eye. When cooked it has a buttery texture and is delicious to taste. Lobia is native to Africa and is cultivated in Latin America, South east Asia and southern parts of the United States. Lobia is extensively cooked in northern parts of India. The dried variety is generally soaked overnight and is added in various soup, salad, dal and vegetable preparations.
Lobia enhances the taste and offers high nutritive values. They have high sources of B-complex, vitamins, protein, zinc, calcium and iron. Do include a variety of beans in your daily diet as they are superior foods with good amounts of nutritional values. Do try preparing different types of fresh dishes. To try more delicious and favorite recipe of yours, do click on: www.vahrehvah.com. My rating: 4 stars: ★★★★☆ 1 review(s) You could always reach me at my below links: My Cooking Videos Indian Recipes Indian Food Regional Indian Cuisines VahChef Sanjay Thumma Enjoy Cooking and always remember that: “VahrehVah is all about inspiring others to cook”!