These are cookies which is shaped into bow tie shape made of puff pastry Bow Tie cookies are very popular tea time snack sold in most Irani tea houses in state of Hyderabad. The cookies are shaped into bow tie hence the name bow tie cookies. The cookies are made with puff pastry dough. The puff pastry dough is a bit laborious to prepare but worth the time as the baked bow tie cookies is just mouth-melting snack to eat.
This can also be made and kept in the fridge for further use for making a variety of dishes like cheese straws, vegetable puffs, paua paneer, egg puffs etc. Puff pastry is a leavened pastry that is very light, flaky and has several layers of fat. The gaps between the layers left by the fat melting are pushed by the water turning into steam during the baking process. Piercing the dough will prevent excessive puffing and crimping along the side will prevent the layers from flaking all along the edges.
Recipe: Bow Tie Cookies
- All-purpose flour - 250 gms
- Salt - 5 gms
- Sugar - 10 gms
- Lime juice - ½ no
- Water - 130 ml
- Butter - 150 g
- In a mixing bowl, add all-purpose flour, salt, sugar, lime juice and combine the ingredients. Add little by little water and knead the flour into stiff dough.
- Add 15 gms of butter to the dough and knead well again. Cover and rest it aside for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle some dry flour on the table and roll the dough to ½ inch thick sheet. Apply butter on ¼ th part of sheet. Sprinkle some dry flour and fold like an envelope.
- Take the sheet and place it in a try. Cover it with a wet cloth and rest the dough in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Repeat the same process for another 2 times.
- Now take out the tray and apply the butter on the sheet and fold it like a book. Cover and put it in the fridge for another 10 minutes.
- Cut the dough into lengthwise strips, ¼ wide and two inches long, twist each cookies in the middle and place over the cookie sheet.
- Give the cookies milk wash and bake at 220 degrees C for 15-20 minutes until they turn crisp and golden brown in color.
The puff pastry dough is a very versatile pastry that can used for stuffing any variety of sweet or savory filling. Bow tie cookies are very light to eat, crisp and flaky. They taste good with a piping hot cup of tea. Bow tie cookies can be eaten by itself too. They are very comforting and appetizing snacks that can be eaten anytime of the day or in between meals. Just try making and you’ll enjoy giving new variations and twist in taste to it. Add generous amount of butter in between layers which will give the best flavor and crispness to the puff pastry.
Puff pastry is an awesome ingredient, a very handy shortcut pastry sheet that can be used to make quick and delicious recipes which will in no time become an amazing appetizer to delight your guests. With just a few ingredients on hand you can create elegant and exotic appetizer and create a variety of festive and impressive appetizers. Snacking is one of the most popular trends in today’s daily diet.
Kids love to snack on a variety of fancied foods like chips, French fries, kurkure, candies, cookies, pastries etc. Snacking is a habit practiced from many years, can be said right from our grandparents days (snacking on homemade savory snacks and sweets) or before that too. Preparing homemade foods will always be best in giving them fresh foods to eat with variety. Do try making this and you’ll enjoy baking more and more varieties.
To try preparing more of your favourite & yummy recipes, do click on: www.vahrehvah.com
My rating: 4 stars: ★★★★☆ 1 review(s)
You could always reach me at my below links:
My Cooking Videos
Regional Indian Cuisines
VahChef Sanjay Thumma
Enjoy Cooking and always remember that: “VahrehVah is all about inspiring others to cook”!