Bun Kebab is a Pakistani sandwich, originating from Karachi. Bun Kebab is a very popular Pakistani street food sandwich that is said to have originated in Karachi. It is often sold across numerous road side stalls and in restaurants all over Karachi, the most famous one being sold at Pakistan Chawk. This delicious and appetizing food is usually eaten by itself or accompanied by a soft drink. Bun Kebab is a poor man’s food that is very easy to prepare and nutritious too.
Made with boiled Chana dal (Bengal gram) which is coarsely ground into a mixture along with some aromatic spices, onions, fresh herbs etc, made into patty shape and pan fried until slightly colored. This is later placed in a lightly cooked omelet, wrapped and placed into two halves of the bun which is lightly fried in butter. The Bun kebab is topped with some fresh salad (something like a coleslaw), ketchup and served. This is a complete wholesome meal consisting of lentils, veggies, egg etc which makes it a healthy and nutritious food to eat.
Recipe: Bun Kebab
- Buns - 2 nos
- Chana dal - ½ cup
- Salt - pinch
- Garam masala pd - pinch
- Chaat masala - ½ tsp
- Green chillies - 2 nos
- Onion, chopped - 1 no
- Coriander leaves - ½ bunch
- Potato - 2 nos
- Butter - 1 tsp
- Cabbage, shredded - ½ cup
- Onion, slices - 1 no
- Mayonnaise - 1 tsp
- Tomato - 1 no
- Eggs - 2 nos
- Mint chutney - 2 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup - 1 tsp
- Add some boiled chana dal in and blender and hand blend or hand mash it. Transfer the mixture into a bowl.
- Add pinch of salt, garam masala, chopped green chillies, chaat masala, chopped onions, coriander leaves, and boiled potato. Combine the ingredients together.
- Add little by little mixture and shape like kebab and keep aside.
- Add little butter in a hot tawa and pan fry the kebabs until crisp and golden brown in color. Remove and keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add some shredded cabbage, onion slices, mayonnaise, tomato slices and mix well. Use this as topping.
- Once the kebab is lightly cooked, put it to the corner of the pan and then add in the egg mixture in one side of the tawa to make an omelette.
- Once the omelette is lightly cooked, place the kebab over the omelette and fold the sides of the omelette to cover the kebab completely.
- Add little butter in the tawa and fry the buns (cut into halves) on both sides.
- Once the buns are slightly colored, apply mint chutney, place the omelette kebab on one side of the bun and top it with cabbage mixture.
- Also add some tomato ketchup, cucumber slices and cover the bun and serve hot and serve.
Kids would love eating Bun kebab as it looks very similar to a burger. The bun kebab is extremely flavorful, juicy, scrumptious and stomach filling. A great snack that can be eaten anytime of the day! This healthy bun kebab is an amazing combination of vegetables and spices mixed together and pan fried until crisp. The patty mixture is generally used for making the shammi kebab and is also popularly known by various names such as vegetable cutlet, vegetable burger, vegetable croquettes etc. This is a very simple snack item that is very easy to make and can be had as an appetizer or evening snack with tea or tomato sauce. An ideal snack especially for kids that can be served for small parties or get-togethers.
The bun kebab is also a perfect breakfast food or a tea time snack having fantastic flavors to satisfy your appetite. Prepared with nutritious and boiled vegetables mixed with spices and served with hot and sweet chutney makes the dish unique to taste! Spiced with green chillies, chaat masala, and garam masala gives an extra zing to the taste. Besides being very simple to make, packed in an yummy omelette gives a luscious texture and delicious punch along with nutty flavour from the patty.
Do make this healthy and mouth-watering Bun kebab and enjoy every bite of it. Healthy Breakfast Patties are versatile, easy to prepare, and so much healthier than their meaty counterparts. However, when you make your own bun kebab, you can customize the ingredients, and the combinations are only limited by your imagination.
Do click through my website (www.vahrehvah.com)to find more healthy and nutritious recipes which might be your all-time favourite dish too.
My rating: 4 stars: ★★★★☆ 1 review(s)
You could always reach me at my below links:
My Cooking Videos
Regional Indian Cuisines
VahChef Sanjay Thumma
Enjoy Cooking and always remember that: “VahrehVah is all about inspiring others to cook”!