Gunpowder Adai is an exceptional south Indian crispy crepe/ pancake sprayed over with gunpowder which is an amalgamation of flavours made with different types of roasted lentils ground to grainy crunch and has a satisfying nutty flavour. The tinge of hing (asafoetida) and fresh curry leaves has got an indefinably extra-savory dimension. A very rich nutritious and healthy breakfast snack good especially for kids and all. Originally Adai is a popular breakfast snack from the cuisine of Tamil Nadu. It is a protein and carbs rich food. Adai is commonly known as Adai Dosai and is served with coconut chutney. There are various variations in making the Adai. It tastes extremely awesome, is crispy and light.
Adai is also stomach filling as it is a multi lentil crepe which is made with a mixture of four healthy dals/ lentils like the channa dal, moong dal, tur dal and urad dal, spiced with dry red chillies and fresh peppercorns. Often Adai is flavoured with ginger which also aids in proper digestion. A plain Adai can be eaten with milaga podi and ghee or with fresh white butter. It is high protein food and good for nourishing kids. Addition of fresh curry leaves leaves a earthy flavour on bite and also gives a nice aroma and refreshing flavour while frying the adai. They add exotic aroma and taste to food in additional to the enormous medicinal values it has. It is basically used as a natural flavoring agent.
Curry leaves improve functioning of the stomach and small intestine and promote their action. They improve the quality of digestive juices secreted during digestion. Their action starts with intake. Their smell, taste and visual impression initiates salivary secretion and initiates the peristaltic wave, which is the first step in good digestion. They are mildly laxative and thus can tackle multiple digestive problems caused by food intake. They are directly added to food or an extract in the form of juice is added to buttermilk and consumed at the end of lunch/dinner. Finally they add to taste and have digestive properties.
Recipe of Gun Powder Adai:
- Rice - 1 cup
- Tur dal - 1 tbsp
- Channa dal - 1 tbsp
- Red chillies - 3-4 nos
- Curry leaves - few
- Hing - pinch
- Salt - to taste
- Gun powder (milagai podi) - as required
- Oil for frying
- In a bowl put in the rice, channa dal, toor dal, dry red chillies and curry leaves. Add water, wash the ingredients nicely once and drain off the water. Put in the hing, salt and add fresh water till all the lentils are soaked properly (do not put excess water) and rest aside for at least for 3-4 hrs.
- Grind them in a blender to a coarse paste.
- Take a flat non stick pan and pour 1 spatula batter in the pan and spread evenly from inside out. Make a small hole in the center and drizzle some oil at the edges of the adai and to the center.
- Cook it on medium flame. Sprinkle some good amount of gun powder over the Adai and spread evenly all over the adai.
- Cover with a lid and allow it to steam cook for few minutes.
- Brown it on one side and then flip over to the other side for a minute.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or pickle.
Gun powder Adai is the excellent choice if you are bored with normal dosa, as it can be eaten on its own. Do make this fresh gun powder adai and encourage your kids in eating nourishes foods.
For making healthy and nutritious adai, do click on: www.vahrehvah.com
You could always reach me at my below links:
My Cooking Videos Indian Recipes Indian Food Regional Indian Cuisines VahChef Sanjay Thumma
Enjoy Cooking! Keep Smiling…