Pyaz Tamater Tikkar is a very popular unleavened Rajasthani paratha made with corn meal flour (makkai ka atta), whole wheat flour which are mixed together with finely chopped onions, tomatoes and other spices, pan fried like a paratha until done. The name of this dish itself showcases the ingredients included in this dish. Pyaz Tamater Tikkar means Onion Tomato Dry unleavened maize and wheat flour typical Indian flat bread. This awesome dry Rajasthani Paratha has a dry texture and is chewy bread.
This texture is achieved by actually making the dough stiff. This paratha is a very healthy and wholesome dish, the parathas are generally served smeared over with ghee accompanied with spicy pickles on the side. The cornmeal flour or makkai ka atta is a very nutritious ingredients that is used in making flat breads, biscotti etc. It gives a rich golden color, moist texture and delicious flavor to the paratha.
Recipe: Pyaz Tamater Tikkar – Rajasthani Paratha
- Whole Wheat Flour - ½ cup
- Cornmeal flour - ½ cup
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Onions - 1 no
- Ginger garlic, chopped - 1 tsp
- Green chillies - 3 nos
- Coriander, chopped - 1 bunch
- Tomatoes, chopped - 2 nos
- Salt - to taste
- Take a bowl, add cornmeal flour, whole wheat flour, salt, ghee and mix to crumbling texture.
- Add grated onion, chopped ginger, garlic and mix.
- Finely chop green chillies, coriander leaves, tomatoes, take half of this mixture and add to the flour mixture.
- Add little water in the flour mixture and mix to make soft dough.
- Divide the dough into equal portions and with help of rolling pin, roll to a sheet.
- Top it with green chillies, coriander leaves and tomato pieces. Roll the paratha once and place on hot griddle.
- Cook this with ghee on both side until done.
- Serve hot.
Cornmeal flour is an ideal ingredient especially for healthy baking as its gluten free, low in sugar and fat. Stuffed Parathas are always tastier and healthier than the plain paratha, especially good for kids, easy for them to carry in lunch or snack box, soft to eat and very comforting and refreshing food. You could always make a variety of delectable and appetizing stuffings/ fillings into the paratha. Do try preparing this variation which would delight you with unique taste and zest.
Do try making this version of paratha.
To try more creative variations and making it healthier, do click on:
My rating: 4 stars: ★★★★☆ 1 review(s)
You could always reach me at my below links:
My Cooking Videos
Regional Indian Cuisines
VahChef Sanjay Thumma
Enjoy Cooking! Keep Smiling…