Every thing about RADISH | Vahrehvah :
Radish, has a unique place in the veggie hearts. It is edible root crop of the Brassicaceae family. It is known as a classic adornment for the leafy green salad, offering a crunchy and peppery punch. Radishes were first cultivated in China years ago. The scientific name of radish is Raphanus Sativus. There are different varieties of radish like white, red, purple or black in color, and in terms of shape, it can be long and cylindrical or round. They taste crispy pungent or sweet, mostly preferred in salads and breakfast. Radish is consumed in many forms like raw, cooked, baked or peeled.
The top leaf vegetable of radish is also edible and added to vegetable to make a delicious curry. They are slightly bitter to taste but has lots of nutrients in it. The bulb of the radish is usually eaten raw. They are in season from April to June and October to January in most parts of North America, Europe and Japan and all year around depending on the variety grown. Summer radishes mature rapidly, with many varieties germinating in 3–7 days, and reaching maturity in three to four weeks.
Some of the yummy Radish Recipes That makes you say VAH:
- Potato Spinach And Radish Curry, healthy and delightful curry with divine combination of potato, radish, spinach and extra spices to add spicy and tangy taste. Serve with chapathi and roti.
- Radish Sambar, also known as Mullangi sambar in south India. It is considered as one of healthiest sambar Radish, dal, tomatoes, and chilli spices are used to make fragrant Radish sambar. Best served with steamed rice.
- Rajasthani Radish Dal is a popular Rajasthani dish, prepared with radish adds sharp and pungent taste in moong dal. Best served with roti, paratha and rice.
- Fatta Fat Chutney – Radish Chutneyis a super-fast to cook accompaniment made with grated radish spiced with few green chillies and little red chilli powder, flavored with shahi jeera mixed with curd to make an awesome and yummy quickie radish-yogurt relish.
- Radish pappu charu is a traditional Andhra favorite nutritionally filled delicious recipe by adding radish it enhances the taste.
Benefits of radish:
- Radishes are a naturally cooling food and their pungent flavor is highly regarded in eastern medicine for the ability to decrease excess heat in the body.
- Radishes can help clear the sinuses and soothe sore throats.
- With a very low calorie count, radishes are a great way to add nutrients, fiber and tons of flavor to your meals without compromising your health.
- Radishes are a very good source of vitamin C, helping to rebuild tissues, blood vessels and keeping bones and teeth strong.
- Radishes contain an important isothiocyanate antioxidant compound called sulforaphane, a proven inhibitor of prostate, colon, ovarian and other cancers.
- Radish contains many nutrients, such as B vitamins,zinc, phosphorus, which can help the skin heal.
Eat in your daily diet and you will gain the wonderful benefits of radish nutrition while enjoying a spicy peppery punch in each bite.