Every thing about Popular Bitter melon Karela Recipes, bitter melon recipes,bitter melon recipe,bitter melon juice recipe :
Bitter melon or bitter gourd or Karela is a tropical and subtropical vine widely grown in Asia, Africa and the Caribbean for its edible fruit, which has a rough, warty skin and is the most bitter among all fruits. Karela is a vegetable that is very popular throughout India. It is one of the not so preferred vegetable by many, especially the kids. They run miles away if the karela is prepared at home. This vegetable is also popular in countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh, Japan, Indonesia, Vietnam and Trinidad and Tobago.
Bitter melon has been classified as a medicinal herb in traditional Ayurvedic medicine. Karela is generally avoided by most of us as it has a bitter taste, but if cooked rightly, it can just allure your taste buds. It has always been a new experience while making dishes with this vegetable. The vegetable is prepared in many different variations to suit their taste. Below I am sharing some of the famous and popular Karela or Bitter melon recipes that I love to make and eat-
- Karela Fryor bitter melon fry/ Kakarakaya Vepudu: It is a simple Indian food recipe using bitter gourd and spices. Karela slices are sauteed with caramelized onions, spices and fried to perfection.
- Stuffed Karela fry: Bitter gourd or bitter melon are slit, stuffed with spicy, tangy mixture and fried. Bitter melon if cooked correctly can be very delicious. This side dish goes well with chapati, roti or rice.
- Spiny Gourd Onion Tomato Fry: Spiny gourd pieces are slow roasted in spices which bring out the flavor of the vegetable. It has a meaty texture and a unique flavor which makes a good side with rice and rasam or pappu pulusu.
- Bitter gourd being loaded with vitamins, particularly vitamin A, B1, B2, C and Iron.
- Bitter gourd or karela use to prevent from a lot of issues like eye problems, neuritis and defective metabolism of carbs.
- The juice of Karela energizes the pancreas, spleen and liver, and retains insulin level.
- Karela is also said to be very good for diabetic patients and lowering the cholesterol.
- The primary minerals and vitamins found in bitter gourd help to improve digestion and keep body's temperature in control.
- Its bitter flavor can be useful for worm infestation.
- Karela is said to be helpful in fighting against cancer and a number of infections.
- Regular consumption of bitter gourd has been associated with prevention as well as treatment of hypertension.
Do try these recipes and delight your palate with different variations of Bitter melon dishes.