Achari Chana Pulao/ Achari Chole Pulao or Pickle spiced chickpea rice is a brilliant twist in bringing out the pickle flavour in the rice and channa (chickpea) cooked together spiced with achar (pickle). Chana or the Chickpeas or Kabuli Chana when cooked, taste extremely good, is nutritious and a healthy option. This rice based preparation is tangy, highly aromatic and pickle flavoured pulao that most of us can’t resist without taking a bite. Achar in Hindi literally means pickle and it is one of the most sought after condiment in all Indian homes especially South India. Indian pickles are often made with vegetables or the unripe form of fruits.
Pickling is also one of those magical preservation methods that extends the food’s shelf life but also take its flavors around the world. There are a variety of foods in Indian cuisine that are pickled. Green Mangoes, Gooseberries (amla) and lemons are the common foods that are pickled in Indian cuisine and most Indian homes. Most of the Indian families have their own unique pickle and chutney recipes that are passed on from generation to generation. Other common and essential ingredients that are used in pickling are edible oils like sesame oil, mustard oil and different Indian spices like asafetida, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, fenugreek and plenty of salt.
There are some regions that specialize in pickling meats, fish and prawns. Vegetables can also be combined in pickles to make mixed vegetable pickle. Some varieties of fruits and vegetables are small enough to be used whole. In south India, most vegetables are sun dried with spices and pickled. Vegetables that may be sun-dried and pickled include amla (gooseberry), unripe mango, lime, garlic, ginger, chillies, tomatoes, onions, gongura (sorrel leaves), combinations of these, coriander, brinjal (eggplant), bitter gourd etc. Most Indian food lover’s, start their meal with little hot rice, ghee and pickle. This is just heavenly, divine and extremely delectable.
Achari Chana Pulao is one such fantastic rice preparation that can be served when you have guest who visit you without prior intimation. Pickles are one condiment that is available in all Indian home. Some awesome, flavourful cooked basmati rice added with the goodness of chana (garbanzo) and spiced with pickle is just divine to the palate. Do try this recipe and just worth the effort. It’s truly delectable, appetizing and fast to prepare. Chickpeas Garbanzo beans or chickpeas are usually used to prepare a wide range of vegetarian foods in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and the UK as they are a major source of protein in a vegetarian culture.
One such widely popular dish especially prepare in north Indian cuisine is Channa masala. Aloo Chole is another dish that is commonly available in most food stalls in major cities like Punjab, Delhi, Karachi and Lahore. Apart from offering its goodness of savour and flavours to the dish, the garbanzo beans also come with a bountiful of nutritional benefits to keep us healthy and fit. These beans provide an excellent source of molybdenum and they are a good source of folic acid, fiber and manganese. They are a rich source of protein as well as minerals such as iron, copper, zinc and magnesium. Garbanzo beans are extremely low in fat, can help lower cholesterol and improve blood sugar levels.
How to prepare Achari Chana Pulao:
- Chickpeas, soaked overnight and boiled - 1 cup
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Rice - 2 cups
- Onion, finely sliced - 1 big
- Green chilies (slit) - 4-5 nos
- Bay leaves - 2-3 nos
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Kalonji seeds (onion seeds) - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - ½ tsp
- Garam masala, freshly ground - 2 tbsp
- Hing - a pinch
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- Haldi powder - ¼ tsp
- Mustard powder - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Mango achaar - 2 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Mint leaves - few
- Coriander leaves, finely chopped - few
- Take a pan and add some ghee. When the ghee gets hot, add bay leaves, mustard seeds and when they crackle, add fennel seeds, kalonji, cumin, fenugreek seeds and fry till you get a nice aroma lingering around the room.
- Add coarsely crushed garam masala, sliced onions and sauté the onions are transparent. Add salt, green chillies, hing, turmeric, ginger garlic paste, cook well until the raw flavours are gone.
- Add garbanzo beans and cook in this masala.
- In a separate bowl take some yogurt, add mustard powder, coriander powder, chilli pd, mango achaar and mix well. Mix this yogurt spice into the channa masala and mix well.
- Add the soaked basmati rice (soak rice for at least 1-2 hours and drain the water off). Spread the rice evenly over the channa masala and pour about 4 cups of water for 2 cups of rice and add salt, finely chopped mint leaves and coriander.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook over slow flame till the rice is cooked and done.
- Once done, serve piping hot. Rice is one of the most popular foods eaten by most of us. There are thousands of people who crave or love eating a variety of fast to cook and easy to do rice preparations. This rice dish is one such simple and delectable meal that can be eaten on its own without any side dish or curry. They can be prepared added an array of ingredients to make it appetizing. You could either add a variety of vegetable or non-vegetarian foods. You could make an array of rice dishes with spices and meats like mutton, chicken, fish, shrimps or prawns And so on…..
You could also find many more amazing, awesome and super delicious rice recipes at:
You could always reach me at my below links:
My Cooking Videos
Regional Indian Cuisines
VahChef Sanjay Thumma
Enjoy Cooking! Keep Smiling…