The dish is an excellent mix of two humble vegetables along with the lentil (Bengal gram) making the taste unique. If you’re absolutely bored of eating some routine dishes, than just try this amazing recipe, a mix of capsicum, bottle gourd (lauki) and bengal gram cooked together with tomato and spices making this dish truly yummy to eat. The garam masala gives a pleasant aroma and fennel powder infuses its essence into the dish.
Capsicum Lauki and Chana dal is a fantastic curry preparation that is slightly dry and can be eaten with roti, chapatti, paratha or rice. This dish is subtly spiced, comforting and nutty to taste. The chana dal gives a nice feel on bite apart from its nutty taste. The dish is an excellent mix of two humble vegetables along with the lentil (Bengal gram) making the taste unique.
Recipe: Capsicum Lauki and Chana Dal Curry
- Chana dal - 1 cup
- Bottle gourd, cut into cubes - 250 gms
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Onion slices - 1 no
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1 ½ tsp
- Fennel seed powder - ¼ tsp
- Tomato puree - 1 cup
- Water - ½ cup
- Bell pepper, cut into cubes - 3-4 nos
- Garam masala powder - ¼ tsp
- Coriander leaves, chopped - 1 bunch
- Boil some water in a vessel; add little salt, bottle gourd pieces, chana dal (soaked for 2 hours in water). Allow cooking until they are soft and cooked.
- In a pan, heat little oil and when it gets hot, add cumin seeds. When they sizzle, add onion slices, pinch of salt and cook the onions.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook until the raw flavors are gone. Add some coriander powder, fennel seeds powder, red chilli powder and stir quickly.
- Add in the tomato puree, mix and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add little water, mix well and bring it to a boil.
- Add in the cooked bottle gourd, chana dal and bell pepper. Cook this for about 2-3 minutes until the bell peppers are slightly soft and crunchy.
- Add very little garam masala, chopped coriander leaves, mix well and switch off the flame.
- Serve with roti, chapatti or rice.
Bengal gram, commonly known as Chana dal is one of the popular legumes used in making a variety of dishes in the Indian cuisine. Chana dal is valued mainly for its wonderful taste and is used in making a variety of salads, curries, snacks etc. The dal is rich and extremely delicious after cooking. Chana dal or the besan flour can be incorporated in making a variety of savoury and sweet delicacies.
They are extremely delicious in taste, full of nutrition and can be digested easily. Chana dal is low in fat, high in fiber and excellent source of calcium, proteins, folate and zinc in human body. It helps in lowering cholesterol and is beneficial for the diabetics because of its unique properties and low glycemic index. Capsicum is another excellent vegetable, very fast to cook and is generally combined with few vegetables like potatoes, peas, cauliflower etc in making delicious dishes. On cooking, capsicum gives a unique flavor and enhances the taste of the dish. They are often used for stuffing with awesome fillings such as cheese, meat or rice.
They are also used in making of exotic raw salads, stir-fries, mixed in noodles, fried rice etc. Capsicums are considered much more than just a flavoring agent. They are low in fat, cholesterol, calories and great for metabolism. The nutrients in these tangy vegetables lower triglycerides in the fat deposits in blood corpuscles. This not only burns extra calories, but also energizes the metabolism.
Capsicum is rich in beta carotene, capsaicin and vitamins A and C, which are good for preventing a host of diseases, including live disease and impotency. Bottle gourd is commonly known as lauki, doodhi, ghiya in hindi, is a very well-known vegetable that is included in a variety of curries, gravy, cooked with lentils etc. It is a very versatile vegetable that is used in preparing savoury and sweet delicacies.
This vegetable belongs to the gourd family and has a light green smooth skin and white inner flesh. It is a very common vegetable in most Indian kitchen, loved by some but hated by many. In Indian cooking, lauki is combined with various lentils and spices in making wonderful dishes. Apart from being a fantastic vegetable, lauki also holds a place in the Indian ayurvedic medical system.
Lauki is very light, easy and fast to cook, is cooling and easily digestible. Bottle gourd is also rich in fiber, essential minerals, iron and protein. Bottle gourd is low in calories and is used in making a variety of low calorie foods. To experience the taste of this flavourful and appetizing dish, enjoy watching this video and give it a try! I am very sure that this will surely be a treat to your taste buds.
Do watch more exotic and mouth-watering recipes, click on: www.vahrehvah.com
My rating: 4 stars: ★★★★☆ 1 review(s)
You could always reach me at my below links: My Cooking Videos Indian Recipes Indian Food Regional Indian Cuisines VahChef Sanjay Thumma
Enjoy Cooking and always remember that: “VahrehVah is all about inspiring others to cook”!