Every thing about AVIAL | Vahrehvah :
Avial is the one of the excellent dishes prepared during any occasion, marriage or feast and is one of the main curry in the Sadya (feast) in the state of Kerala. It plays a major role in Kerala cuisine in all the occasions like wedding, party etc. It is also popularly prepared in the state of Tamil Nadu. Avial is a vegetarian dish with nice flavor and taste that is well known in Kerala where every region has their own method of preparing the Avial.
The key to make outstanding Avial is to show equal attention to the visual appeal. Avial is produced in two variations, dry or with gravy. Delicious preparation made with mixed vegetables, curd, coconut, curry leaves and seasoned with coconut oil. Vegetables with contrasting colors such as carrot, beans, pumpkin, elephant yam, drumstick, snake gourd, potato, cucumber, plantain etc. are chosen, sliced evenly into thin long pieces, and cooked to a crunchy consistency. It goes perfect with hot steamed rice and best with Adai (made of lentils and rice, and usually prepared for breakfast).
Curry, this term is an Anglicized spelling of Tamil kari, a general term for any spiced sauce. Curries may be either 'dry' or 'wet'. Dry curries are cooked with very little liquid which can evaporate, leaving the other ingredients coated with the spice mixture. Wet curries contain significant amounts of sauce or gravy. There are different curries like Butter Chicken, Paneer Butter Masala, Chicken Curry, Egg Curry, Bagara Baingan, Spicy Saoji Chicken Curry Nagpur Chicken, Bottle Gourd Curry With Sesame Seeds, Grated Beetroot Curry, Cabbage Kofta Curry, Fish Curry In Tamarind Sauce, Grandma’s Chicken Curry, Goan Shrimp Curry and many more.
Mixed vegetables like carrot, beans, pumpkin, elephant yam, drumstick, snake gourd, potato, cucumber, plantain etc. are sliced evenly and used in Avial.
- Carrot - The fresh and most flavorful vegetable.It is used in many dishes like Carrot Halwa, Carrot Payasam, Carrot Cauliflower Pickle, Carrot Nut Cake, Carrot Khoya Kajjikayalu, etc..
- Potato - Whether mashed, baked or roasted, people often consider potatoes as comfort food. Potato plays major role in many recipes like Potato Podimas, Potato Masala, Vegetable 65, Breakfast Egg Potato Bread Upma, Aloo Chutney Wala Potatoes Tossed In Chutney Masala, Chilli Masala Potatoes and lot
- Pumpkin - Pumpkins are a member of the Cucurbita family which includes squash and cucumbers.Pumpkins contain potassium and Vitamin A. Pumpkins are used in recipes like Pumpkin Halwa With Apple, Roasted Pumpkin Tomato Soup, Indian Baby Pumpkin, Pumpkin Coconut Curry, Pumpkin Chutney, Pumpkin Masala and many varieties.
- Elephant Yam - Huge yam also called Amorphophallus Paeoniifolius and Suran in Hindi. Flesh in it looks like sweet potatoes, also has a wonderful flavor. Yam is included in many dishes like Yam Fry, Yam Cooked With Tamarind Pulusu Puli, Yam Kabab, Yam Masiyal and many more
- Pinch the curry leaves and add it raw while adding the coconut.
- If you have raw mango in hand, you can add it to the vegetables at the end as it cooks fast. In that case, do not add curd. It makes the Avial sour.
- As each vegetable has a different level of cooking, it will be better to add vegetables according to the cooking time. That means the longer cooking items first and quicker items last.
- Due to the presence of a large variety of vegetables in Avial, it is extremely beneficial for health.
- Carrot contains Anti-Oxidant nutrients, Cardiovascular and Good for your vision.
- Vegetables help to improve digestion, reduce cholesterol levels, boost heart health, protect from polyps, prevent cancer, manage diabetes, strengthen the immune system, reduce signs of aging, protect the skin, increase circulation, reduce blood pressure, maintain fluid balance, reduce insomnia, and boost eye health.
A dish full of nutrients received from assorted vegetables with a zing in taste to the palate. Not a very spicy dish but very healthy and nutritious to all. Delicious, aromatic, flavorful Avial is serve with sambar rice and is a complete delight for all vegetarian feast.